Sunday, September 16, 2007

To my anonymous friend below

To my anonymous friend who posted on 9/11/07,
While I have been blessed with wonderful roommates so far, I do know that bad roommates happen OFTEN. First off, know it has nothing to do with you. Their annoying behavior does not reflect you in any way. Second, although my roommates were awesome last year, my room was the size of an oversized closet - no joke. So, I did not like being in my room a lot. I hung out in my friend's rooms really often - even studied there. My room became a place I slept, and held the occasional hang out sesh when my two roommates were MIA. That's one thing you can do. It makes you a. appreciate your room (even your roommates!) more - absense makes the heart grow fonder, and b. appreciate your friends in other rooms more.

Also, towards the end of the year, my roommates started hanging out with these 2 people for what seemed 24/7. While these 2 people who I'll refer to my 4th and 5th roommates were nice people, they were also loud and always there and thus annoying. With them, I laid down the law. When I needed quiet, I kicked them out nicely. My point with this anecdote is...while being out of your room will make living in it easier, don't forget that it's just as much your room as it is your annoying counterpart. So, don't be afraid to lay the smackdown tastefully & diplomatically. If you politely lay down the law and your roommate is mad, then F*CK her because you've done all you could.

Just brush that dirt off your shoulder. Hope this helped. Call me if you need advice. Oh, and also, don't keep things inside so much. You'd be surprised how good you feel after you talk to someone.

No comments: